Historic site and monument in Thueyts, Ardèche
Opening : All year round, daily.
First a Romanesque church was built in the middle of the 10th century following the donation of a certain Géraud to the abbey of St Chaffre. Several side chapels (tombs of the lords). The cemetery is around the church.
In 1715 this church is in bad condition.
A second church is rebuilt in 1834 following the collapse of the vault. It is placed under the name of St John the Baptist.
The cemetery is moved to the Georgie district, the location of the old cemetery was called Place du Terras.
The bell tower and its tower, adjoining the church (Italian fashion) dates from 1691, it has three bells.
The church has a single nave of 25m by 12.40m, the semicircular vault is 12m high.
Adorned with several paintings:
- Visitation of Our Lady (copy of Master), 16th century
- Baptism of J.C, Annunciation ...
- The Way of the Cross in 14 paintings
Statues: Christ in wood, Saint Louis de Gonzague, Saint Regis, Saint Joseph ... in gilded wood
Stained-glass windows above the entrance gate have recently been restored by Balayn
1st: St John the Baptist with a lamb carrying the cross of Jesus
2nd: Coat of arms of Saint Chaffre azur key face (spiritual and temporal power) golden brochantglaive (symbol of justice) high point of silver sheathed gold
3rd: Coat of Blou argent cypress Vert (Blou) bands of gold and Gules (Gourdon) azure three rose gold pal (Pressis)
4th: coat of arms of Chadenac Gules, square castle of silver topped with three dungeons