Remains of the feudal castle
Accessible à pied depuis le centre du village
Historic site and monument in Burzet, Ardèche
Opening : All year round, daily.
Discover the remains of the feudal castle of Burzet and their history ...
It seems that the origins of Burzet Castle date back to the High Middle Ages. The Counts of Peyres, originally from Gevaudan, were the Lords. Built on a rocky peak and bordered by a river, it has all the characteristics of a medieval castle. In military architecture, this type of site is called a barred spur: the sides of the site are defended by natural peaks. The only accessible side, to the west, was protected by a moat (a dry ditch). In Ardèche, this type of castle is called "Roccas" (rocks). Imagine an imposing ensemble consisting of a massive dungeon and three square towers connected by curtain walls, a probably crenellated enclosure that formed a courtyard and a farmyard with village houses. The only remains of the castle are the remains of the square donjon on which was built in 1874 Our Lady of All Graces. The dungeon was a large, tall rectangular tower, surmounted by a four-sided roof, with few windows on the side of the attack (the existing ones had grilles). At the top, there was a continuous battlements on machicolations, the floor of which was pierced with openings and watch-towers at the four corners, to complete the defense and eliminate blind spots. Some clues still show today the existence of the castle: one observes the mark of the tools on the rock dug artificially, as well as holes of boulins, square holes used to support a beam. This castle was probably destroyed in several times: perhaps at the time of the wars of religion in the 16th century (the Counts of Peyres were Protestants), during the order of Richelieu, in 1626, which ordered the dismantling of the castles and probably also during the French Revolution. The castle then served as a stone quarry for the construction of houses around. On the site of the old castle stands today the Clock Tower.
- Tour free of charge
- Guided tours