Naves : a village with oustanding character
07140 Les Vans
Historic site and monument in Les Vans, Ardèche
Opening : Throughout the year : open daily.
Naves clings to the foothills in the Cévennes and oozes the South of France amid the olive tree-covered hills. It had its heyday in the 19th century when silkworm breeding boomed. The industry no longer exists.
The climate is Mediterranean, dry in the summer, cold in the winter, storms are violent, the streams can quickly transform into torrents ripping up everything in their path. We're 100 km from the sea as the crow flies. Naves is also renowned for its chateau.
The chateau market town : The former chateau market town still presents a number of vestiges of houses from the Middle Ages and the Modern Era: gable wall, mullioned windows with or without chamfer. This beautiful house seems to be the oldest of the village: brown, it presents characteristics typical of the Cévennes.
The church :Classified as a Listed Building, mention of the church of Naves was made in 1096 in a deed of transfer from the bishop of Uzès to the abbot of Saint-Ruf of Avignon. The abbot of Saint-Ruf retroceded this in 1201 to another bishop from Uzès.
Dedicated to Saint-Jacques le Majeur, it would have been built during the 12th century. The Holy wars didn't spare the church: in 1570, protestants destroyed the vaults and left the building in ruins for nearly 40 years, before its restoration in the beginning of the 17th century.
- Public WC
- Tourist information